Zen and the art of balance bike maintenance*

I walked into the kitchen to this:

I chuckled when I saw them and was promptly told off as this is “work”. Nomi and Zoey are of course correct, bike maintenance is very important, and given how important their balance bikes are to the family it needs to be taken seriously.

I cannot stress how much we all love their balance bikes. One of the best things we invested in. We wanted to make biking a big part of our family culture and balance bikes got Zoey and Nomi off to a great start.

Once they got the hang of them last spring we were out everyday racking up the miles. Being able to get out of the house for a brisk walk with two toddlers in tow is a huge sanity saver, and they love exploring the neighborhood, going fast down hills, and working on “tricks”. In the height of the summer we were out after breakfast – glorious!

We are moving the girls over to super light weight pedal bikes shortly (no training wheels), and we’ve got a bike rack for the car now so we’ll be able to go out to the canal paths and parks with all our bikes. Just need all this snow to melt and temperatures to warm up.

*title curtesy of my mum who I was FT-ing when I came into the kicthen.

Advertisements

10 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Lori
    Mar 07, 2015 @ 20:14:44

wonderful 🙂

2. Lisa Hassan Scott
    Mar 08, 2015 @ 05:28:17

I don’t think I knew anything about balance bikes when my first two children were small. But by the time A was 2 they were a big deal so that’s what he used. Last summer I tried him on a pedal bike and although he could do it, he was scared and didn’t like it. Waiting a few more months paid off because two weeks ago he tried his pedal bike again and he has cycled every day since then. On day 2 we were at the skate park! It’s great to see Z and N out on their bikes– you get such a brisk walk that way 🙂

3. cryscryss
    Mar 08, 2015 @ 13:32:58

We’re looking to buy the girls balance bikes when we return to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks. Which brand did you buy and would you recommend it?

• Leah Hung
      Mar 08, 2015 @ 13:54:00

Giant, had no problems with them and they’ve thoroughly enjoyed riding them. Since you’ll be back in the UK I’d suggest looking at Isla bikes. They are a company that specializes in light weight bikes for kids and they have a balance bike. We are getting Isla pedal bikes for Z&N as they’ve opened a U.S. Store.

• cryscryss
        Mar 09, 2015 @ 14:35:58

Awesome. Thanks. There are so many choices, so anything to help narrow it down is a big help. Normally, I’d use Gumtree, but it’s hard to find two of the same. Two of the same, not because they are twins, but because IT MEANS NO FIGHTING. (I’m sure you understand.)

• Leah Hung
        Mar 09, 2015 @ 19:28:21

Yes, this exactly. Every single time. If it’s not exactly the same (maybe barring color) they will bring it up forever. Alex aways says do we need to send out a memo that you should buy identical gifts because do you want us to hate you?

UK friends tell me Isla bikes hold their value well reselling on eBay (80%).

• cryscryss
        Mar 10, 2015 @ 14:17:08

Saw the £150 price tag for a new Isla bike and opted for the Stompee balance bike (after confirming that gumtree did not boast two Isla balance bikes for sale in Scotland). Stompee had decent reviews, but — if I’m honest — I went with them because the red ones were on sale for £50 from £100. Woot woot!

• Leah Hung
        Mar 12, 2015 @ 08:12:04

Bargain!

4. David Miller
    Jun 19, 2015 @ 07:00:49

Sounds like an awesome setup – thanks for the write up!